Listening SectionClick here to do the Listening Section
I. Incomplete DialoguesQuestions 16 to 30, choose the most appropriate answer.
- Kiki: "Where should we have lunch, Sita?"
Sita: "How about the new restaurant near the cinema?"
Kiki: ".... I heard that it is good enough."
- That’s a good idea.
- What a lunch we have now.
- That’s terrible.
- You should know better.
- Caller: "May I speak to the Manager, please?"
Clerk: "I’m sorry, Sir. He’s out of town today. ...?"
- Would you like to leave a message?
- Who do you want to speak to?
- May I help you?
- Should you go out with him?
- Fifi: "I haven’t met Pras for long."
Umi: "Don’t you know that he has moved? ..., but now he teaches at the new school."
- He used to teach here.
- He has moved to a new school.
- I know that he has moved.
- He still teaches here.
- Dea: "There’s a good movie playing at Studio 21."
Gina: "“Merah Putih”? I’ve been waiting for that film."
Dea: "Shall we go there this weekend?"
Gina: ".... I’m always free on Saturdays and Sundays."
- I don’t like that kind of film.
- That sounds great.
- What about this weekend?
- It hasn’t played for a long time.
- Roni: "I’m attending my best friend’s wedding party in Surabaya tomorrow, Sir. ...?"
Manager: "Actually, you have a lot of assignments to finish, Roni."
Roni: "I will finish them today, Sir."
- May I have a day off?
- Could you finish my assignment?
- Would you like to come with me?
- Could you give the actual date of the wedding party?
- Weni: "I’m sorry, but I’d like to return this blouse. I have the receipt here."
Assistant: "What’s the reason for the return?"
- It comes in size S, M, and L.
- I like the color very much.
- It really suits me.
- It doesn’t suit very well.
- Waiter: "Excuse me, Ma’am. ...?"
Fira: "Could I have some Gado-gado, please?"
Waiter: "Certainly. Anything to drink?"
- What would you like to have?
- Could you recommend your special food?
- Could you provide the menu, please?
- Where would you like to eat?
- Lina: "...? I’m leaving for Surabaya tonight and I can’t pick you up as usual."
Atik: "Don’t worry. I’ll take the public transportation."
- What will you do at work tomorrow?
- When are you leaving for Surabaya?
- Can you pick me up tomorrow?
- How will you get to work tomorrow?
- Ari: "Why do you look so upset? What’s bothering you?"
Maya: "I’ve lost my flash disk."
Ari: ".... Do you remember where you last put it?"
- What do you mean?
- I don’t want to bother you.
- You can buy a new one.
- I’m sorry to hear that.
- Tukul: "What would you do if you had a lot of money?"
Gayus: ".... I like traveling."
- I would go around the world.
- I will travel to Bali.
- I would have visited many beautiful places.
- I will be going wherever I like.
- Traveler: "...?"
Pedestrian: "No, it’s just a five-minute walk from here. It’s along this street."
- Could you tell me where the post office is?
- Is the post office far from here?
- Where is the post office?
- How long does it take to walk to the post office?
- Reni: "Your managing director resigned yesterday, didn’t he?"
Ida: "Yes. .... He never told anyone about his plans."
- He will resign someday.
- We knew he would resign.
- That’s a good idea.
- It was quite a surprise.
- Receptionist: "...?"
Mrs. Siregar: "Double with bath. I'd appreciate it if you could give me a room with a view over the valley."
- How many rooms do you need?
- I’d like to make a reservation?
- When are you going to stay at this hotel?
- What kind of room would you like?
- Vera: "Hasn’t Cita arrived yet?"
Mei: ".... She called me just now and said that she was still on the way."
- I think she will not come here today.
- Let’s cancel our meeting.
- She will arrive soon.
- She would like to find her way.
- Rini: "May I borrow the Oxford dictionary? I have a translation work to do."
Librarian: "Let me see. .... What about Longman dictionary instead?"
Rini: "That’ll be fine. Thank you."
- I’m sorry, but it hasn’t been returned.
- Yes, it’s available.
- Of course you can borrow it.
- Could you return it on time, please?
II. Error RecognitionQuestions 31 to 35, choose the inappropriate structure in the sentences below.
- The Plaza is (A) located at the southeast corner of New York’s fabulous Central Park, (B) where is not far to the best shopping along New York’s famous Fifth Avenue. This 1907 hotel, with (C) its beautiful fountain, is a famous location in (D) many popular movies and books.
- Budi: "The 8:00 (A) show for The Train is (B) sold out, (C) so I got tickets for High Flyer. I hope that’s OK."
Lusi: "That’s fine. People say that High Flyer is (D) more good than The Train."
- Caller: "Hello? I’d like (A) to speak to Mr. Anto, the manager, please."
Clerk: "I’m sorry. He’s out for lunch. (B) Could you like to leave a message?"
Caller: "Yes. Please tell her Rosa (C) called. I’ll (D) meet him at two this afternoon."
- My cousin Andi and his son Dio are very (A) different. They (B) aren’t look the same. Dio is very tall, but Andi isn’t. They (C) don’t like the (D) same music. Dio likes hip-hop, but Andi likes jazz.
- same as
- Ully: My CD player’s not (A) working. It’s driving me (B) crazy!
Joko: I’m sorry (C) to hear that. If it were not a serious damage, maybe I (D) can fix it.
III. Reading ComprehensionQuestions 36 - 50 are based on a selection of reading materials. Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D to each question.
Gardens by HokPO Box 687
1103 Lisbon, Portugal
September 8, 2010
Landscape Design Magazine
Otto Heldringstraat 2:
1066 AZ Amsterdam
Dear Mr. Williams
Thank you for your sending the advertising information. We have decided not to place an ad in the December issue, but we will consider placing one in the next issue in march.
We will be in touch. Again thank you for your assistance.
- What is Sov Hok’s business?
- Designing skyscrapers
- Selling advertising
- Designing gardens
- Why did Mr. Hok write this letter?
- To ask Mr. Williams for a subscription
- To place an ad in December
- To get a job
- To say he wasn’t interested in placing an ad now
- How often does the magazine come out?
|Feb 4-Feb 24:|
International Jewelry Trade Fair
|Mar 11-Apr 15:|
International Furniture Fair
Mar 12-Mar 20:
Mar 15-Mar 18:
International Shoe Fair
Mar 20-Mar 25:
International Textile Fair
|Apr 16-Apr 24:|
Art and Antiques Fair
Apr 14-Apr 21:
European Watch Fair
|May 12-Jun 12:|
International Computer Exhibit
- What is this calendar list about?
- Trade shows
- Musical events
- Sport competitions
- A tour itinerary
- Which event does NOT take place in Europe?
- Automobile show
- Art and Antiques Fair
- International Shoe Fair
- International Jewelry Trade Fair
- If you were a buyer of a dress manufacturer, where should you go in March?
In 1928, she became the first female passenger of transatlantic flight. She flew from new Newfoundland to Burry port, Wales. In 1932, at the age of thirty four, she was the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean alone, from Harbor Grace, newfoundland, to Ireland. This success was soon followed by a series of flights across the United States alone.
In 1935, she was the first woman who made a solo flight from Hawaii to California in both directions. In 1937, she tried to fly around the world with Fred Noonan as her navigator. After completing more than two-thirds of the trip, her twin engine Lockheed Electra vanished near Howland Island in the Pacific Ocean, and no trace of Earheart or her plane was ever found.
- What happened to Amelia in 1928?
- She dropped out from Columbia University
- She started working in California
- She was the first passenger on transatlantic flight
- She flew from Harbor Grace to Ireland
- When did she fly alone for the first time?
- In 1897
- In 1928
- In 1932
- In 1935
- Which statement is NOT true according to the text?
- Amelia Earheart graduated from Columbia University
- She was accompanied by a navigator to fly around the world
- She flew from Hawaii to California successfully
- She could not finish her trip to fly around the world
Qualified candidates should send their resumes to: The Daily news, Box 8552, 1627 Elm Street, Adelaide, Australia
- Which segment of business is looking for a sales manager?
- The office product divisions
- The personnel division
- The multinational company
- The overseas staff
- What type of experience is required for the job?
- Product Development
- Ten years in office management
- Expanding sales
- Research in the field
- Where should applicants send their resumes?
- To the company
- To the vice president of sales
- To the division manager
- To the newspaper
How to make Popcorn
• 2 tablespoons popping corn
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons sugar
How to make it:
o Pour the oil into a large saucepan and place it on the stove.
o Turn the heat to medium and cook for about 2 minutes.
o Add the corn to the pan and put the lid on.
o Turn the heat to high until you hear the corn begin to pop.
o Turn the heat to low and cook slowly until the popping stops. Shake the pan occasionally.
o Sprinkle sugar over the popcorn and stir.
o Turn the heat to high for less than one minute. Do not overcook or the sugar will burn.
o Pour the popcorn into a bowl and wait for it to cool before tasting.
- Who will be most interested in reading the text?
- People who sell cooking utensils.
- People who like cooking.
- People near a popcorn seller.
- People on research about popcorn.
- When should you sprinkle sugar over the popcorn?
- After stirring the popcorn in the pan
- Before the corn begins to pop
- Before you serve it
- After the corn stops to pop.
- What should we not do according to the above text?
- Heat the corn until it pops
- Overcook the popcorn
- Cook slowly until the popping stops
- Add sugar and stir the popcorn