Pada halaman ini, Mister Guru akan membagikan salinan otentik dan contoh soal Olimpiade Bahasa Inggris Tingkat SMP / MTs yang pernah dilombakan di SMKN 1 Probolinggo agar adik-adik siswa SMP / MTs bisa menggunakannya sebagai bahan persiapan mengikuti Olimpiade bahasa Inggris atau sebagai bahan pengayaan dan pendalaman materi menghadapi ujian sekolah bahasa Inggris. Selamat mengerjakan.
Choose the best answer; A, B, C, D, or E to each question.
Text 1: Questions No. 1 - 7Living things ...(1)… found almost …(2)… on the Earth. They are found in …(3)… habitats. A habitat is the place …(4)… an organism lives. A pond, a stream, a field, an area of leaf …(5)…, a seashore and even a rotting log are all examples of habitats.
Within a habitat, many things affect the ...(6)… of the organism. Some of these things are air, water, and …(7)… organisms. The things that affect the organism make up its environment.
Text 2: Questions No. 8 - 14Conservation of natural resources involves the intelligent use and care of our resource. Why do we need to conserve our resources?
A few thousand years ago, there were not many people living on the Earth. There were more than enough natural resources for everyone. But in the last 200 years, the world population has increased rapidly. As the world population increases, more natural resources are needed to support the population. The demand for natural resources will become even greater as countries all over the world become more developed.
We have also invented many machines to help people do work and to make life more comfortable. A lot of fuel is being used to provide energy to run all these machines.
We are using huge amounts of our natural resources so rapidly that the natural resources are in danger of being depleted. Our Earth has limited supplies of non-renewable resources. They are running out quickly.
Even our renewable resources are in danger. The trees in forests are being destroyed too fast. There is just not enough time for new trees to grow to replace the ones that are removed. As more land is needed for development of towns or farms, more forests will be cleared.
A wide variety of wildlife lives in forests. When forests are destroyed, the wildlife in them is in danger of extinction. Some wild animals are also becoming extinct because so many of them have been hunted and killed for profit.
Therefore, we need to conserve our natural resources to make them last as long as possible.
Text 3: Questions No. 15 - 20
Do you run away when you hear a bee buzzing? Many people do. A bee sting hurts and some people are allergic to bee venom. But did you know that bees are very important to humans? Honeybees do more than just make honey. They fly around and pollinate flowers, plants, and trees. Our fruits, nuts, and vegetables rely on these pollinators. One third of America's food supply is pollinated by the honeybee.
The Disappearing Honeybee
Have you seen or heard a honeybee lately? Bees are mysteriously disappearing in many parts of the world. Most people don't know about this problem. It is called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). Some North American beekeepers lost 80% of their hives from 2006-2008. Bees in Italy and Australia are disappearing too.
The disappearance of the honeybee is a serious problem. Can you imagine never eating another blueberry? What about almonds and cherries? Without honeybees food prices will skyrocket. The poorest people always suffer the worst when there is a lack of food.
This problem affects other foods besides fresh produce. Imagine losing your favorite ice cream! Haagen Daaz is a famous ice cream company. Many of their flavors rely on the hard working honey bee. In 2008 Haagen Daaz began raising money for CCD. They also created a website called helpthehoneybee.com.
Donating money to research is the most important thing humans can do to save the honeybees. Scientists need money to investigate the causes of Colony Collapse Disorder. Some scientists blame CCD on climate change. Others think pesticides are killing the bees. Commercial bee migration may also cause CCD. Beekeepers transport their hives from place to place in order to pollinate plants year round.
(Adapted from https://www.englishclub.com/environment/honeybee-reading.htm)
Questions 21 – 24 refer to the following dialog
|Ani :||“It is a very …(21)… shopping experience. Terrific!”|
|Beti :||“Sorry, I couldn’t hear you. I beg your …(22)…?”|
|Ani :||“This mall is great. I like shopping here.”|
|Beti :||“Yes, but it’s very …(23)…. I can hardly hear you.”|
- Arrange the following sentences into a good paragraph.
1. When it rains, the rainwater dissolves the harmful substances in the air to form a weak acid.
2. It kills trees in the forests.
3. When it gets into rivers and lakes, the organisms that live in them are harmed.
4. In some countries, air pollution is very bad.
5. Acid rain is very harmful to the environment.
6. We call this ‘acid rain’.
- Ovi: “Wenny can’t drive a car.”
- So can’t I.
- I can either.
- I can’t too.
- Neither can’t I.
- Neither can I.
- Sita: “… do you read a newspaper?”
Fifi: “Every day.”
- What time
- How often
- How long
- How many times
- I have a bad headache. I’ve taken some medicine but my head is … aching.
- I need to open these screws. I need a ….
- You can fasten the nut with ….
- a bolt
- a drill
- a hacksaw
- a wrench
- A=12m. B=10m. C=12m. D=15m. E=14m. Which is not true according to the data?
- A is as long as C.
- D is longer than C.
- C is shorter than B.
- B is the shortest of all.
- A is shorter than D.
- Adi: “Can you turn the music down? I can’t concentrate.”
Heri: “Oh, certainly.”
Which sentence best describes the situation?
- It’s not noisy enough for Heri to concentrate.
- It is too noisy for Adi to concentrate.
- Adi can’t listen to the music clearly.
- It is not noisy enough for Adi to concentrate.
- It is too noisy for Heri to listen to the music.
- She heard a noise behind her, so she looked ….
- Do you remember the woman … sang at the party?
- I met a man … wife is an English teacher at my son’s school.
- The Nile is … river in the world.
- longer than
- as long as
- the longest
- Joni: “We went to the cinema last night.”
Lia: “Oh, really? ….”
- So did we.
- We do too.
- We also do.
- So do we.
- So we do.
- Waiter: “… some drink, Sir?”
Udin: “Yes, tea please.”
- What do you like
- May I have
- Could you drink
- Do you like
- Would you like
- My car is at the garage now. ….
- It is repairing.
- It is being repaired.
- It repairs.
- It has repaired.
- It has been repaired.
- Penny: “I must leave early.”
Penny said that ….
- I must leave early.
- she must be left early.
- she had to leave early.
- I had to leave early.
- she must be leaving early.
- My mother likes cooking. For me, she’s the best … in the world.
- Gita began reading before the phone rang. So, when the phone rang, she ….
- was reading
- is reading
- began reading
- has been reading
- Denny: “… Tia and Merry … yet?”
Yoni: “No, not yet. We’re waiting for them.”
- Has - arrived
- Had - arrived
- Did - arrive
- Have - arrived
- Do - arrive
- Jaka has a bad memory. He can’t remember ….
- some things
- Eddy … in a factory. Now he works in a supermarket.
- is working
- has been working
- had been working
- used to work
- My mother was at home, and my sister was too.
- Both my mother or my sister were here.
- Either my mother or my sister was at home.
- Neither my mother nor my sister was at home.
- My mother was not only here but also was my sister.
- Not only my mother but also my sister was here.
- He stood there and looked at … in the mirror.
- Denny : “...?”
Rio : “It weighs 30 kilos.”
- How weight is it?
- How much does it weigh?
- What does it weigh?
- How far is it?
- How many is it?>
- It's very cold. You should ... your coat.
- put on
- put off
- put out
- put away
- put up
- The traffic runs smooth. They have repaired the street.
- The street had been repaired.
- The street is being repaired.
- The street is repaired.
- The street will have been repaired.
- The street has been repaired.