I. Sentence Completion1. Battery-operated reading lamps ... very well right now.
- are selling
- were sold
- look to
- looking for
- looking around
- looking into
- to compose
- more impressive
- most impressive
- such as
- in order that
- has continued
- would have continued
II. Short ConversationQuestions number 31 - 33 refer to the following dialogue.
|Dina:||We need to hire a temporary assistant to help us with this project until our regular assistant fully recovers.|
|John:||Yeah, it will take him at least 2 months till he’s able to return to his duties.|
|Dina:||I know, that’s why I hate it when people around me become indispensable. It just makes me feel helpless sometimes.|
|John:||In the meantime, why don’t we try finding someone from our staff to replace him? That way we’ll avoid the training period since all staff know, more or less, how things run around the office.|
- She needs to hire a temporary assistant.
- He feels helpless.
- He is sick.
- He doesn't want to help.
- She hates him.
- He is indispensable.
- He is helpless.
- He lives around the office.
- Avoid the training period
- Run around the office
- Find someone from their staff to replace the assistant
- Hire a temporary assistant
|Levi:||When did you say you are going on that business trip again?|
|Siska:||Well, I’m leaving on Wednesday evening, but I won’t be back until Tuesday.|
|Levi :||The conference is on for two days isn’t it?|
|Siska:||Well, yes, but since my husband is coming with me this time, we thought we’d take Monday off and spend the weekend by Lake Como near Milan. We’ve heard so many good things about it, and with my new position we haven’t had the chance to go on vacation in the last couple of years.|
- Wednesday and Thursday
- Thursday and Friday
- Saturday and Sunday
- Monday and Tuesday
- She is usually too busy to go on vacation.
- She has been to Lake Camo before.
- She is going to the conference alone.
- She often goes on vacation.
|Romi:||I think we need to ask the Staff Director to order two new desks for us. Mine is very small, while yours is very big and takes up too much space. And we could do with new wallpaper as well.|
|Ulfa:||That’s fine by me, but the company is on a very tight budget this year, so they might not approve any of it. We’re lucky we’ve still got a job.|
|Romi:||Why don’t you draft a formal request, and we’ll see what happens?|
|Ulfa:||Sure! There might even be some old desks available in the warehouse that would suit us perfectly.|
- Buy new desks
- Make his table larger
- Take up more space
- Renovate his office.
- It doesn't have lot of money to spend.
- It sells new wallpapers this year.
- It will approve their requests.
- It gives them a new job in the office.
- Find old desks in the warehouse.
- See what will happen to their desks.
- Save more office space.
- Write a formal request
|Timmy:||I ordered some products from your company a week ago but they haven’t arrived yet, although you had assured me you would ship them one or two days after I placed my order.|
|Voice:||Give me a second, sir, to track down your order, ... yes, here it is. The products were shipped on September the 19th, that’s a day after you placed your order. The shipping number is 335601342 and the courier company is BLC.|
|Timmy:||Oh, OK. I’ll try contacting them to find out what’s taking them so long to deliver the package.|
|Voice:||My guess is that they’ve got problems with the customs office. In any case, call me if I can be of any further assistance.|
- He wanted to place an order.
- He couldn't find the order shipping number.
- His order hadn't arrived.
- He wanted to cancel an order delivery.
- September 12th
- September 18th
- September 19th
- September 20th
- Call the courier company.
- Cancel the shipment.
- Solve the customs problems.
- Go to the customs office.
|Operator:||Mr. Lee isn’t coming in today. Can I take a message?|
|Anita:||I’d rather talk to him in person. Do you know when he’s coming back?|
|Operator:||I’m afraid he’s not coming in for the next couple of weeks. He’s on a sabbatical to work on his dissertation.|
|Anita:||Well, in that case could you please tell him that I’ve reviewed his article and that he needs to contact me to go over my revisions ASAP? Unless you can give me his home number and I’ll contact him in person.|
- He is reviewing a dissertation.
- He is finishing a revision project.
- He's on vacation.
- He's on a sabbatical leave.
- Give her his phone number.
- Contact her.
- Review his article.
- Check her revisions.
- A year
- Several weeks
- Six months
- A couple of days
III. Reading ComprehenesionQuestions 46 - 49 refer to the following news.
Jayapura, Papua (ANTARA) - The Indonesian Army's Mi-17 helicopter that crashed on Mount Mandala in Oksop Sub-district, Pegunungan Bintang District, Papua Province, and killed 12 people aboard, was owing to bad weather, according to an official.
"I think the pilot had attempted to re-direct the helicopter to the original location due to foggy weather, but when the helicopter turned, it crashed into the mountain," Major General Herman Asaribab, commander of the Regional Military Command (Pangdam) XVII/Cenderawasih, remarked here on Saturday.
The helicopter reportedly lost contact during its flight from Oksibli to Sentani on June 28, 2019. Since the day it went missing, search efforts have been steadily made to locate the helicopter by involving a Bell Helicopter 206 and Bell Helicopter 412 bearing registration number HA-5177. However, the SAR's efforts to locate the missing helicopter have been hindered by factors, including erratic weather conditions and difficulties on ground due to inaccessibility to roads.46. What is the news about?
- Mount Mandala in Oksop Sub-district
- A helicopter crash in Papua Province
- Indonesian Army's Mi-17 helicopters
- The bad weather in Pegunungan Bintang
- Inaccessibility to roads
- Difficulties on ground
- An official's decision
- Bad weather
- weather conditions
- difficult terrain
- human errors
- inaccessibility to roads
What is the synonym of the underlined word?
- GTS Sales Staff
- Karen Moore
- Mr. John Sakazaki
- Mr. Lockhart
- Sales staff enthusiasm
- A new product
- Sales strategy
- A marketing presentation
- Bonus checks
- Customer presentation
- A congratulatory letter
- A new product
- Sales manager of GTS
- A supplier
- A customer
- Karen Moore's worker
Dear Mr. Komar,
We are sorry to learn that the vacuum cleaner you recently ordered arrived with several missing parts. Thank you for returning it promptly.
A replacement model of the same style, color, and price is being shipped to you and should arrive in two days' time. It has been carefully inspected to ensure that you will not be troubled again with a similar problem.
We sincerely regret the delay and inconvenience that has caused you, but we hope that you will be pleased with your new cleaner.
Thank you for your patience.
54. What is the purpose of the letter?
- To address a complaint
- To confirm an order
- To reply to a complaint
- To order the missing parts
- It was delayed.
- It should be returned soon.
- It hasn't been received.
- There were some missing parts.
- The order delivery was not on time.
- Mr. Komar was not satisfied with the product.
- The order was not carefully inspected.
- The replacement had a different style and color.
- Make another complaint for the delay
- Reply to a complaint from Agung
- Contact the Customer Relations staff
- Wait until the replacement arrives
Dear Mr. Jiggit,
Your resume is very impressive, but we are no longer hiring full time workers. Like many companies, we are trying to operate with a minimum staff, hiring temporary office workers.
When the workload increases, or when we need people for a specific project, we look for part time workers. Should such a need arise, we will contact you.
With every good wish.
58. What employment practice does this company share with others?
- Hiring temporary workers
- Hiring full-time workers
- Training its own workers
- Asking retirees to return
- When costs are high
- When the workload increases
- When employees are ill
- When they operate with a minimum staff
- to inquire about a part time job
- to ask about company benefits
- to look for temporary office workers
- to seek full-time employment