A. Future Perfect Tense dalam Dialog
|BETTY:||"Jim! ... Jim!"|
|JIM:||"Wait. I'm still busy working."|
|BETTY:||"Jim! Will you listen to me? I want to talk to you."|
|JIM:||"Oh! Do you want to talk to me?"|
|BETTY:||"Of course, I want to talk to you."|
|JIM:||"Well, what do you want to talk about? Do you really want to talk to me while I am working? I'll be able to come inside and talk to you when we have coffee. I'll have drunk my coffee by about eleven o'clock, and then I'll finish making the box. I'll have finished making it by about half past eleven, and then I'll paint it. By lunch time, I'll have made myself a new fishing box and I'll have painted it."|
|JIM:||"What's the matter, Betty? Is the coffee ready now?"|
|BETTY:||"No, the coffee isn't ready now! That's what I want to talk to you about. You won't have drunk your coffee by eleven o'clock."|
|JIM:||"Why not? It's only half past ten now."|
|BETTY:||"You won't have drunk your coffee by eleven o'clock because I won't have made it."|
|JIM:||"Why won't you have made it?"|
|BETTY:||"I won't have made it because we don't have any coffee."|
|JIM:||"Oh! ... Why don't you say so?"|
|BETTY:||"I've tried to tell you several times, but you started hammering again, or sawing, and I had to shout at you."|
|JIM:||"I'm sorry, Betty."|
|BETTY:||"Now, are you listening?"|
|JIM:||"Yes, I'm listening."|
|BETTY:||"When I came outside, I wanted to ask you to go in the car to get some coffee."|
|JIM:||"But that will take time! If I don't keep on working now, I won't have painted the fishing box by lunchtime."|
|BETTY:||"Unless you leave off working now, you won't have any coffee. In fact, you won't have coffee again until Monday, because the shops will be shut until then."|
|JIM:||"I see! Hmmm. Oh well, I won't have painted my fishing box by lunchtime but that won't really matter. I don't mind going to get some coffee. I'll go now. Is everything ready except the coffee?"|
|BETTY:||"No, the cups aren't ready yet."|
|JIM:||Well, you'd better hurry! I won't be long. If you don't hurry, I'll have returned with the coffee, and you still won't be ready."|
|BETTY:||"All right, I'll hurry."|
|JIM:||"I won't be long."|
B. Bagaimanakah bentuk Future Perfect Tense?
C. Bagaimana penggunaan Future Perfect Tense?
- Shall bisa digunakan jika subyek berupa orang pertama (I atau We), meskipun shall sudah jarang digunakan dalam bahasa Inggris modern .
- Future perfect tense sangat sering digunakan bersama keterangan waktu yang diawali dengan kata by then, by that time, by the ....
- Future perfect tense bisa digunakan untuk mengutarakan kejadian/keadaan yang pada suatu saat nanti akan menjadi kejadian/keadaan lampau, atau baru saja selesai dikerjakan.
Agar lebih mudah memahami penjelasan tentang future perfect tense ini, mari kita perhatikan contoh situasi di bawah ini.
It is March 7th today. The third-grade students are busy preparing for the final exam that they are taking in the end of this month. We'd better wait till April to hold the students' art show. The students will have had their exam by then, so they'll be able to enjoy themselves.
D. Soal Latihan Future Perfect TenseA. Isilah bagian kosong dengan bentuk Future Perfect tense dari kalimat di dalam kurung.
Contoh: (Tina is washing the carpet now.) When we arrive home, Tina will have washed the carpet.
- (Ms. Ida is making the beds now.) By ten o'clock, Ms. Ida ....
- (The men are repairing the computer now.) When you come from lunch this afternoon, the men ....
- (Margaret is writing her essay this week.) By next Tuesday, Margaret ....
- (Mr. Adi is reading the book.) Mr. Adi ... by this time next week.
- (I'm polishing my shoes now.) When breakfast is ready, I ....
- (We're cutting this big tree down now.) By this evening, we ....
- (Rio is planting some plants in the garden now.) Rio ... by half past two.
- (She's sewing herself a dress today.) When her mother comes home, she ....
- (They're moving into their new house.) By tomorrow, they ....
- (Dwi and Sasha are doing their university courses.) They ... by the year after next.
She will have completed the exercise by one o'clock.
Answer: WIll she have completed the exercise by one o'clock?
(How long) he'll have been in this office by next year.
Answer: How long will he have been in this office by next year?
- You'll have finished that job by next Friday.
... by next Friday?
(What time) they will have cleaned this room.
What time ...?
(When) she'll have cooked the dinner.
They will have explored the forest soon.
(What) you'll have done by the time I return.
What ... by the time I return?
The lawn service agent will have mown our lawn by this evening.
... by this evening?
- Romy will save one hundred thousand rupiahs in April. He'll save fifty thousand rupiahs in May. Will he have saved two hundred thousand rupiahs by the end of May?
Answer : No, he ... by the end of May.
It is 2019. Hana moved here in 2012. Will she have lived here for ten years by next year?
Answer : No, she ... by next year.
It is 9 a.m. now. We will drive at the speed of 70 kilometer per hour. Surabaya is 100 kilometers away from here. Will we have arrived in Surabaya by ten o'clock?
Answer : No, we ... by ten o'clock.
- Thomson & Martinet (1986). A Practical English Grammar (4th Ed). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Radio Australia, English for You. Victoria: The Dominion Press.