|Hadi:||I have these pictures of Indonesia, Margaret. Do you want to look at them?|
|Margaret:||Oh, I like to look at pictures of other countries, Hadi - and I want to learn about Indonesia. Let me see them! ....|
Oh, that's an interesting photo. Those are musicians!
|Margaret:||But Indonesian musical instruments are different from Australian musical instruments.|
|Hadi:||These are special instruments, Margaret. This is a gamelan orchestra. You see, this instrument has strings. This is a drum, and these are gongs.|
|Margaret:||Is that a guitar?|
|Hadi:||No, it isn't. Do you like guitars, Margaret?|
|Margaret:||Yes, I do. A guitar is a useful instrument. If you play a guitar, you don't need other instruments. You can play songs, and people can sing. ....|
Oh, look at this photo, Hadi. What are these girls doing?
|Hadi:||They're dancing. That's a special Balinese dance.|
|Margaret:||They're wearing pretty costumes. And is this a gamelan orchestra, too?|
|Hadi:||Yes, that's right.|
|Margaret:||Is that dance difficult to learn?|
|Hadi:||Oh yes. These girls start learning when they're very young. Now look at this, Margaret.|
|Margaret:||Oh, that's a nice photo, Hadi!|
|Hadi:||Yes, that's a rice-field. We grow a lot of rice in Indonesia. Rice grows well there.|
|Margaret:||But what beautiful scenery! Rice-fields, trees, mountains. I think this photo is the prettiest!|
|Hadi:||Would you like to have it, Margaret?|
|Margaret:||Are you giving it to me?|
|Margaret:||Oh, thank you very much, Hadi! It's lovely!|
I. Answer the following questions based on the above conversation.
- What is the conversation about?
- What pictures does Hadi show Margaret?
- In your opinion, what makes Margaret interested in the pictures?
- What does Margaret say about Indonesian musical instruments?
- What does Margaret think about guitars? Why?
- What are the girls in the picture doing?
- What does Margaret think about their costumes?
- Which picture does Margaret like best?
- What does Hadi do with the picture?
- Rewrite the above dialogue in your book and underline the demonstrative pronouns; this, that, these, those.
II. Complete the following sentences with "this/that" or "these/those".
- ... is a flower.
- ... is an office.
- ... are fingers.
- This is ... water.
- ... are exercises.
- ... animals eat grass.
- ... boy is playing football.
- ... is a library.
- ... is coffee.
- ... is an island.
- ... are university students.
- ... girl has been here for an hour.
- ... is a hotel.
- ... aeroplane is flying above the sea.
- Most farmers in ... country grow rice.
III. Write sentences with "this/that" or "these/those" using the nouns provided. Number 1 has been done as an example.
- a book
This is a book.
- racing cars
- pure honey
- doctors and nurses
- my aquarium
- a traditional game
- old coins
- a picture of my family