These are examples of compliments and the responses:
|What a fantastic performance!||Thanks. I'm happy that everything worked well.|
|You look gorgeous!||Thank you very much.|
|You're looking glamorous.||Thanks.|
|How adorable that is!||Thank you for your compliment.|
|Well done! You are the best.||Thank you.|
|I like your new haircut.||Thanks. I'm glad you like it.|
|That's a nice shirt!||Thanks. It's a gift from my friend in Indonesia.|
|How elegant you look.||That's very nice of you. Thanks.|
|My compliments on your great work.||Thanks. I'm just doing my job.|
|Wow! You’re very clever.||Thank you.|
|What a great picture! You should be proud of yourself.||Thanks. Glad you like it.|
- That’s a nice ...(noun)....
- What a great ...(noun)...!
- How ...(adjective/adverb)...!
- You look ...(adjective)....
- I like your ...(noun)...!
- I must express my admiration for your ...(noun)....
- You're really ...(adjective)....
- Thank you for your compliment.
- That's nice of you.
- I am glad you like it.
A. Please complete the dialogues below using your own words.
|Hari:||What a nice bike you have, Panca.|
|Panca:||...(1).... It was a present from my Dad on my birthday two years ago.|
|Hari:||...(2).... That kind of bike is very expensive now.|
|Panca:||Yes, it is. It's because cycling is becoming very popular now.|
|Hari:||You're right. Bikes are sold out in many places.|
|Gani:||I saw your performance in the English speech contest yesterday. ...(3)....|
|Salma:||...(4).... I practiced hard to prepare for it.|
|Gani:||It was paid off. You certainly impressed the juries.|
|Salma:||I hope so. Thank God everything went well.|
|Tom:||I like your new shoes.|
|Tom:||They look very expensive. Where did you buy them?|
|Dio:||Well, not really. I bought them at a home industry near my house.|
|Tom:||...(6).... They look like branded products.|
|Dio:||Well, when it comes to quality, I'm not a brandminded person.|
|Tom:||I agree with you. Home industry products often come up with the same quality as that of branded ones, sometimes even better.|
|Mita:||Hi, Ayu. You look ...(7)... tonight.|
|Ayu:||...(8).... You, too.|
|Mita:||I've never seen you wearing that Batik dress. Is that new?|
|Ayu:||Well, my Mom had it made at a tailor's for me last month.|
|Mita:||Oh, did she? I think your mom is quite fashionable.|
|Ayu:||Yes, she really is.|
|Risa:||Hi, Linda. How are things with you?|
|Linda:||Never better, thanks. And you?|
|Risa:||I'm fine, thanks. I heard that your proposal for our next program has been approved. Congratulations.|
|Linda:||It has. Thanks.|
|Risa:||I think our manager should thank you for such a great idea in marketing. You're a genius.|
|Linda:||...(9).... It's all based on my experience in marketing that kind of product for years.|
|Linda:||Well, stop complimenting me. I need everybody's support in order to make it work.|
|Risa:||You can count on me.|
B. Express your compliment in each of the following situations.
- You compliment your friend on his/her new hair style.
- Your friend is wearing a fancy gown.
- Your colleague has been promoted for his hard work.
- Your friend has received a flying grade in a TOEIC test.
- Your brother has received a photography award.
- Your friend's office has been rearranged and it's now very comfortable..
- Your father has bought you a new mobile phone.
- Your cousin has gone on a diet and now she is slimmer.
- Your motorcycle wouldn't start until a friend came and helped you.
- Your best friend has won an English speech contest.