What's in this post?
A. CAUSE & EFFECT, OPPOSITION, CONDITION WORDS / PHRASES
|ADVERB CLAUSE WORDS||TRANSITIONS||CONJUNCTIONS||PREPOSITIONS|
|CAUSE & EFFECT||because|
as/so long as
|OPPOSITION / CONTRAST||even though|
although / though
on the other hand
|but (... anyway)|
yet (... still)
in spite of
only if / even if
whether or not
in case (that)
in the event (that)
|otherwise||or (else)||in case of|
B. EXAMPLE SENTENCES OF CAUSE & EFFECT, OPPOSITION, CONDITION
- He went to bed because he was sleepy. (Cause and effect)
- Gold is expensive, whereas copper is cheap. (Opposition)
- I’m going to the movie this evening whether or not it rains. (Condition)
- It was hot. Therefore, he turned on the air condition. (Cause and effect)
- It was raining. Nevertheless, he went out. (Opposition)
- You’d better wear a jacket. Otherwise, you’ll catch cold. (Condition)
- It was getting late, so we decided to go home. (Cause and effect)
- It was getting late, yet we still continued working. (Opposition)
- You should leave now, or (else) you’ll be late for school. (Condition)
- The flight was canceled due to the heavy fog. (Cause and effect)
- They went out despite the bad weather. (Opposition)
- In case of fire, call 911 immediately. (Condition)
C. MULTIPLE CHOICE INTERACTIVE EXERCISE
D. SENTENCE COMPLETION EXERCISE
Do this exercise. Complete the sentences using one of the words listed in the above table.
- Dina lives in the city, ... Rinda lives in the country.
- The meeting was postponed ... the heavy rain.
- ... I had a cold, I decided to go to school.
- You’d better prepare for the test, ... you will fail again.
- You forget the meaning of these words ... you never practice it.
- Mastering English is just a matter of practice. ... you must practice a lot.
- She kept riding her motorcycle ... the flat back tire.
- I’m going to take my TV set ... it hasn’t been repaired.
- Her father has told her to study. ... she is going to the movie.
- Parents should supervise their children when watching TV. ... they may watch inappropriate programs.
- He didn't get the job ... he didn't have enough experience.
- He got the job ... he didn't have enough experience.
- I'll lend you some money ... you really need it.
- The music was loud ... you could hear it from miles away.
- I couldn't sleep ... I was very tired.
- ... it rained a lot, we enjoyed our vacation.
- We went out ... the rain.
- He passed the exam ... he was well-prepared.
- I didn't get the job ... I had all the necessary qualifications.
- ... fire, please leave the building as quickly as possible.