An English ConversationIn his office, Jim is talking to Betty, his wife, on the telephone.
|JIM:||And what are you doing now, Betty?|
|BETTY:||I'm having a rest.|
|JIM:||Hm, you're lucky. You're having a rest, while I'm sitting here in the office, working hard.|
|BETTY:||Working hard! You're talking to me on the phone - that isn't work! Now, I've been very busy - I've cleaned the house, and I've done a lot of shopping. I've sewn some buttons on your shirts -|
|BETTY:||- and I've made cake, and I've prepared some food. Now I'm tired, and so I'm having a rest.|
|BETTY:||Oh, Yati rang me this morning.|
|JIM:||Ah, how is she?|
|BETTY:||She's well. I've asked her to come and have dinner with us this evening.|
|JIM:||Oh, Betty, you've forgotten! We've promised to go and have dinner with Tom and Nancy Foster this evening.|
|JIM:||Yes. Don't you remember? We arranged it last Sunday.|
|BETTY:||Oh, yes, that's right. Oh dear, what can we do?|
|JIM:||Never mind, darling. You must ring Yati, and explain to her. Perhaps she can come to dinner tomorrow evening.|
|BETTY:||Yes, I'll ring her. And Jim what -|
|JIM:||(someone interrupted him) Just a minute, please, Betty ... Oh, Betty, the mail has arrived, and I have to do some work on it now.|
|BETTY:||All right, darling. Goodbye now.|
|(A few moments later, Jim calls Betty again)|
|JIM:||Hello, Betty. Tom Foster has rung me to say that Nancy is sick, and they're very sorry, but they can't have us for dinner tonight.|
|BETTY:||Oh, poor Nancy. What's the matter with her?|
|JIM:||She's caught a very bad cold, and she has to stay in bed for a few days ... But listen, Betty, now we can invite Yati to dinner this evening after all.|
|BETTY:||Oh, but, Jim, I've rung Yati, and I've explained to her that we have to go out this evening, and now she's made some other arrangements for this evening.|
|BETTY:||But she's promised to come to dinner tomorrow evening.|
|JIM:||Good! So, this evening we can't go to the Foster's, and Yati can't come to us - so we'll have a cosy dinner, just by ourselves.|
Bagaimana bentuk Present Perfect Tense?Perhatikan kalimat atau frase yang dicetak tebal dalam dialog di atas. Kata kerja dalam kalimat-kalimat tersebut adalah contoh bentuk Present Perfect Tense dalam bahasa Inggris, yang tersusun oleh have/has + past participle (verb 3).
|I/We/You/They||have||past participle (verb 3).|
|He/She/It||has||past participle (verb 3).|
|Have||I/we/you/they||past participle (verb 3)?|
|Has||he/she/it||past participle (verb 3)?|
|I/We/You/They||have not (haven't)||past participle (verb 3).|
|He/She/It||has (hasn't)||past participle (verb 3).|
- I've been very busy.
- I've cleaned the house.
- I've done a lot of shopping.
- I've sewn some buttons on your shirts.
- I've made cake.
- I've prepared some food.
- I've asked her to come.
- You've forgotten!
- We've promised to go ....
- The mail has arrived.
- Tom Foster has rung me.
- She's/She has caught a very bad cold.
- I've rung Yati.
- I've explained to her.
- She's/She has made some other arrangements for this evening.
- She's/She has promised to come to dinner tomorrow evening.
Apa fungsi Present Perfect Tense?Present Perfect tense digunakan untuk menyampaikan gagasan bahwa sesuatu telah (atau tidak pernah) terjadi sebelumnya, yaitu pada suatu waktu tertentu di masa lampau. Jika digunakan dengan 'for' atau 'since', present perfect tense memiliki arti bahwa suatu kejadian/kegiatan berlangsung hingga sekarang.
Contoh kalimat dalam bentuk Present Perfect tense menggunakan "for" atau "since":
- He has worked for two hours.
- They have worked since two hours ago.
- It has been my pet for 5 years.
- They have been here since yesterday.
Latihan SoalLengkapilah kalimat-kalimat berikut ini dengan cara mengubah kata kerja dalam kurung ke dalam bentuk Present Perfect dengan benar.
- Nina ...(be)... angry with me since yesterday.
- I ...(not read)... these magazines.
- Her mother ...(sick)... for a week.
- ... his family ...(live)... in this town since two years ago?
- The students ...(have)... a flag ceremony for half an hour.
- Michael and I ...(study)... this lesson since four days ago.
- My brother ...(work)... on the experiment for two months.
- ... the teacher ...(explain)... this chapter?
- The boy ...(not eat)... since last night.
- Miss Anita ...(not be)... here since yesterday.