Type: Error recognition
No. of items: 25 items
Time Allocation: 20 minutes
Directions: In this TOEFL® Practice Test, each sentence has four underlined words or phrases. Identify the one underlined word or phrase that must be changed in order for the sentence to be correct. Start of TOEFL® Practice Test - Written Expression
- Since erect in 1886, the Statue of Liberty has served as a symbol of freedom.
- A traveler can reach some of the village along th Amazon only by riverboat.
- Natural predators, disturbing from tourists, and pollution have all contributed to the decline of the California condor.
- Today the number of people which enjoy winter sports is almost double that of twenty years ago.
- The Soay sheep, the old breed of sheep in existence, has changed little since 3500 B.C.
- Voyager 2 is a spacecraft which has greatly expanded us knowledge of the solar system.
- Dolphins, whales, and many other sea creatures use high sophisticated navigation systems.
- The smallest things in the universe are, paradoxically, be explored by the largest machines.
- Fiber is important element in nutrition, and it aids in protecting the digestive tract as well.
- Copper is a metal which is easy worked and which mixes well with other metals to form alloys.
- An exchange rate is the price of one currencies in terms of another.
- The Bactrian, or Asian, camel can be identified by their two humps.
- The first European settlement of Australia left the city of Portsmouth in May 1787.
- Scurvy, caused by the lack of vitamin C, could kill the most of a ship's crew on a long voyage.
- The term "Punchinello" refer to a clown in Italian puppet shows.
- Symptoms of multiple selerosis may be eased by injecting a solution consisted of snake venom.
- The rupture of the Mareb Dam in ancient Yemen brought it about the collapse of many small kingdoms.
- The tiger's cunning, strength, and agile have earned it a legendary reputation.
- Uranus is the alone planet in the solar system which is tipped on its side
- Most critics agree that William Shakespeare was the greater writer in the English language.
- Much nutritionists argue that people's intake of fat should be reduced.
- The refracting telescope contains lenses that magnification the image which reaches it.
- In some societies hired people cook, clean, take care after the children, and do the yard work.
- Many American novelists, such as Gore Vidal, resides in other countries.
- Some paper dolls, which were once relatively cheap, are previously considered valuable collectors' items.
End of TOEFL® Practice Test - Written Expression
Note: The actual time allocation to do this TOEFL® Practice Test - Written Expression is 20 minutes. Please set your clock for 20 minutes.
TOEFL® is a registered trademark of ETS.
Source: Gear J & Gear R. Cambridge Preparation for the TOEFL® Test 2nd Ed. Cambridge, Cambridge UP, 1996, p. 18-19.