SOAL UNBK BAHASA INGGRIS SMP
PREDIKSI SOAL 7
The above caution means ....
- We need to buy eye-protection equipment.
- It is very easy to find eye-protection equipment.
- Some students are using eye-protection equipment.
- It is very important to wear eye-protection equipment.
What is the text about?
- Opening a new house to old friends
- Describing a new home to someone
- Advertising a new house to someone
- Congratulating someone on a new house
Questions 3 to 4 refer to the following text.
Last autumn I was in India during Diwali, "the Festival of Lights”, which takes place every year to celebrate the victory of good over evil. This festival lasts for five days and is held at the end of October or in the first week of November.
Preparations began weeks before the event. People cleaned their homes and painted wonderful designs called rangolis on the walls and floors. They bought beautiful new clothes and jewelry to wear during the festival. Women made delicious sweets which were better than any others I have ever tasted.
During the five days of Duwali, every home and temple was decorated, inside and outside, with lovely clay lamps and colourful candles. After dark, the whole neighborhood glittered with thousands of tiny lights, as though in a fairy tale. Excited children set off firecrackers, and at first I was frightened by the loud bangs, but the spectacular display was so fascinating that I soon joined in the spirit of celebration.
Diwali is a deeply moving festival. I am very grateful I had a chance to share in this celebration of peace and harmony. I have fond memories of the experience, and in particular I will never forget how friendly and generous people were.
- What is Diwali?
- A celebration day
- Wonderful designs
- Festival of lights
- Home and temples in India
- The main idea of paragraph 3 is ....
- The preparations for Diwali was very long.
- Diwali was celebrated everywhere
- The writer was very happy with Diwali
- During Diwali, houses were decorated with lamps and candles.
Questions 5 to 7 refer to the following text.
If you are a sport fan, you are sure to know the name Michael Jordan. He is probably the greatest basketball player the world has ever seen. Although his career as a player is over, his fame will live on for many years to come.
Michael Jordan certainly looks like a star. He is tall, well-built and handsome, with friendly brown eyes and a wide grin. He always manages to look well-dressed, even in his casual clothes or small suits.
His personality, too, is as outstanding as his playing ability. Michael is a very determined person. This has made him a successful basketball star. He has given lots of money and support to charities.
All in all, Michael Jordan is not only a great athlete, but also a warm, caring person. Is it no wonder that so many boys have dreamed of growing up to be just like him?
- What will be the best title for the text?
- A warm, caring person
- Michael Jordan
- A sport fan
- A famous star
- The word outstanding in His personality, too, is as outstanding as his playing ability means ....
- If you are a sport fan, ...." What does the underlined word refer to?
- Michael Jordan
- The writer
- The reader
Questions 8 to 11 refer to the following text.
Sung-Yow had a secret. He could paint a picture and make it come alive! This only happened when the painting was finished. Sung-Yow loved to paint dragons. He left out their eyes because he didn't want them to come alive. In this way, his secret stayed a secret.
The king heard that Sung-Yow was good at painting dragons. He asked Sung-Yow to paint four dragons on a wall. In three days the painting was almost finished. The dragons looked like they could jump off the wall. They didn't jump because Sung-Yow had left out their eyes.
People come from far away to see the paintings.
"The dragons look so real," they said.
"But where are their eyes?" they asked.
"If I dotted the eyes, the dragons would fly away," said Sung-Yow.
Everyone laughed. No one believed him. Sung-Yow was not happy. This time he would not leave out the eyes. He painted little black dots on two of the dragons.
Crash! Crack! The wall split open. Two dragons jumped off the wall. Sung-Yow went on to become a very famous artist with a very famous secret.
In China when someone adds a finishing touch to a work, people might say 'Draw Dragons' Dot Eyes'.
- What was Sung-Yow's secret?
- He was good at painting dragons.
- He could paint a picture.
- Draw Dragon Dot Eye.
- His painting could come alive.
- How could Sun-Yow become famous?
- He was asked by the king.
- Everyone liked the dragons.
- People saw his secret.
- He said, "Draw Dragons' Dot Eyes".
- Why didn't Sung-Yow finish his dragon paintings?
- The dragons looked real without eyes.
- He didn't want them to be alive.
- The dragons didn't jump off the wall.
- The painting was almost finished.
- What is the purpose of the text?
- To entertain the readers
- To describe a painting
- To tell a history of a painting
- To explain how a painter can be famous
Let's postpone our plan to visit Madakaripura waterfall. The weather is still unpredictable. I will let you know later.
What can we conclude from the text?
- Santi and Kirana are going to Madakaripura.
- They suffer from unpredictable weather.
- The weather in Madakaripura is fine.
- Kirana and Santi have to cancel their plan.
Questions 13 to 14 refer to the following text.
|Exclusive facial cotton|
100% pure cotton without bleaching
Ensures better absorbency and comfort for cosmetic application
Hygienic way to remove make up and cleanser
Its softness is suitable for baby's skin
- What is the main function of the facial cotton?
- To soften baby's skin
- To clean make up
- To comfort the face
- To absorb cosmetic
- From the text above, we know that Exclusive facial cotton is ....
- Hygienic in certain items
- Soft with certain chemical process
- White with certain addition substances
- Natural without chemical process
- My parents and I were in Lombok on vacation. It was a wonderful time exploring the unknown. We went beneath the sea and ... the fish up close. They were various in size and color.
Questions 16 to 17 refer to the following text.
To : All students of SMPN Maju Probolinggo
To celebrate the Education Day, students organization will hold some interesting programs such as Speech Contest, Debate, and Class Wall Magazine Competition.
Day: May 2nd, 2019
Time: 8 am onwards.
Place: School hall
All classes must send at least one (1) representative to join each competition. For registration, contact the organizing committee in Students' Organization office.
- What is the announcement about?
- Students organization's committee
- An English speech contest
- A national day celebration
- A national day ceremony
- What should you do if you want to join one of the competitions?
- Celebrate the National Education Day
- Come to the school hall on May 2nd
- Meet the organizing committee
- Talk to your English teacher
Questions 18 to 20 refer to the following text.
My family and I went on a recreation to Solo. We went there on Monday by car. We stayed at our grandparents' house.
On Tuesday, We went to Tawangmangu. We enjoyed the scenic view with its waterfall and ate lunch there. We had traditional foods like gudangan, tempe bacem, fried fish and fried chicken. Then, we continued our trip to Taman Jurug zoo.
The next day, we went to Kasunanan Palace. We saw many kinds of historical herritage in the palace. After that we had shopping at Klewer Market and Solo Grand Mall. I bought some souvenirs for my cousins. In the evening, we went sightseeing the town.
On Thursday morning, we said goodbye to our grandparents and went home. I really enjoyed my holiday. It was fun.
- What place did the writer and his family visit first in Solo?
- Kasunanan palace
- Taman Jurug zoo
- Klewer market
- What did the writer and his family do on Wednesday evening?
- Did shopping at Klewer Market
- Visited Solo Grand Mall
- Went sightseeing the town
- Bought some souvenirs
- How many days did the writer spend in Solo?
Questions 21 to 23 refer to the following text.
Raflesia can be found in the forests of Malaysia, Southern Thailand, Sumatra and Java. But, Raflesia flowers are fairly hard to locate. It is especially difficult to see them in bloom. Its buds take up to 10 months to develop while its blossom lasts for just a few days.
Raflesia has brownish, scale like leaves and fleshy, smelling flowers of various sizes, from few inches to a meter big in diameter. We can easily notice its large fleshy flowers. There is a deep well in the center of the flowers. The sexual organs are located beneath the rim of the disk. Male and female flowers are separate.
The reddish brown colors of the petals, sprinkled with white freckles produce unpleasant stench, similar to rotting flesh. This would attract flies and insects which help disperse the seeds. Raflesia isparasite, which means it takes the nutrient out of its host.
- The text mainly describes ... of Raflesia.
- the location
- the petals
- the sexual organs
- the physical look
- What is the unpleasant smell for?
- People repellent
- Attracting insects
- Attracting host
- The word "notice" in paragraph 2 means ....
Questions 24 to 25 refer to the following text.
How to Make Avocado Juice
You'll need :
• 1 avocado (ripe)
• 500 ml cold milk
• 250 ml cold water
• 150 grams sugar
• 3-5 drops vanila essence
1. Cut the avocado into half, remove seed, and scoop out the pulp.
2. Put the pulp of the avocado along with the sugar in a blender and blend well.
3. Add the milk, water and vanila essence and blend for 1 minute.
4. Garnish and serve chilled.
- What should we do after we put the pulp in the blender?
- Blend the pulp.
- Add the milk.
- Add vanila essence.
- Remove the sugar.
- What is the purpose of the text?
- To describe how we should serve avocadoes.
- To analyze the importance of avocadoes.
- To explain how to do something.
- To explain the steps of eating avocadoes.
- Arrange the following words to make a good sentence.
always of locals cow The interest the receives race great 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
- 5 - 3 - 9 - 1 - 8 - 10 - 6 - 2 - 7 - 3
- 5 - 3 - 1 - 8 - 10 - 6 - 2 - 7 - 4 - 9
- 5 - 4 - 9 - 1 - 6 - 10 - 8 - 2 - 7 - 3
- 5 - 4 - 9 - 1 - 8 - 10 - 6 - 2 - 7 - 3
- Arrange the following sentences to make a good paragraph.
1. The bus was air-conditioned, so i felt comfortable.
2. All the passengers got off, did their prayers and had dinner
3. Then I took a taxi to my grandparents’ house.
4. On holiday, I visited my grandparents in Bandung.
5. The bus stopped at Pekalongan.
6. I went there by bus. It left at five in the afternoon.
7. The bus reached Bandung at six.
Questions 28 to 29 refer to the following text.
I have a close friend. She is beautiful, attractive and trendy. She always wants to be a trend setter of the day. Therefore, she pays much attention to her appearance.
Recently, she bought a pair of stylish shoes from a famous shoe-designer. These shoes really suit her. When she is walking on those shoes, all her friends, including me, watch and admire her. She has the shoes that really match her physical appearance. The style, color, and brand represent her warm personality perfectly. She really has perfect appearance.
- What is the purpose of the text?
- Describe the writer's friend's style and her new shoes
- Explain a famous international trademark shoes
- Share the writer's experience with her stylish friend
- Describe a well-known shoe product to the readers
- Why does the writer admire her friend?
- She likes wearing international trade mark shoes.
- She always wants to be a trendy and attractive woman.
- She has very expensive famous designer's shoes.
- She looks perfect with her new shoes.
Questions 30 to 32 refer to the following text.
There were once two brothers who lived on the edge of a forest. The elder brother was very mean to his younger brother and ate up all the food and took all his good clothes.
One day, the elder brother went into the forest to find some firewood to sell in the market. As he went around chopping the branches of a tree after tree, he came upon a magical tree. The tree said to him, "Oh kind sir, please do not cut my branches. If you spare me, I will give you my golden apples". The elder brother agreed but was disappointed with the number of apples the tree gave him. Greed overcame him, and he threatened to cut the entire trunk if the tree didn't give him more apples. The magical tree instead showered upon the elder brother hundreds upon hundreds of tiny needles. The elder brother lay on the ground crying in pain as the sun began to lower down the horizon.
The younger brother grew worried and went in search of his elder brother. He found him with hundreds of needles on his skin. He rushed to his brother and removed each needle with painstaking love. After he finished, the elder brother apologised for treating him badly and promised to be better. The tree saw the change in the elder brother's heart and gave them all the golden apples they could ever need.
- What will probably be the best title for the text?
- Two Brothers and a Magical Tree
- Two Brothers and Golden Apples
- The Magical Tree
- The Greedy Elder Brother
- Look at the underlined phrase in paragraph 2. It means that the elder brother agreed to ....
- cut the tree's branches.
- give him the golden apples.
- ask for more golden apples.
- spare the magical tree.
- What is the moral of the text?
- It is important to be kind and gracious as it will always be rewarded.
- Strong people don't give up when they come across challenges.
- Brave people are not afraid to go after what they want .
- Everyone always needs help from other people.
Most crabs have a ...(i)... shell to protect their bodies. However, the hermits crab has a soft body and no shell of its own. In order to ...(ii)... itself, it will find an empty mollusk shell and squeeze inside out completely. Then with only its logs and head sticking out, it will walk around the seabed searching for food.
Questions 35 to 36 refer to the following text.
I am used to traveling by plane but only on one occasion, I felt frightened. After taking off, we flew low over the city. Then, it slowly went high to the sky.
Suddenly it turned around and flew back to the airport. A flight attendant told us to keep calm and to get off the plane quietly as soon as it landed. After we landed, the police searched the plane carefully. Everybody on board was worried and we became curious about what was happening.
Later we knew that there was a very important person on board. Earlier, somebody had told the police that there was a bomb on the plane. Fortunately, they didn't find a bomb and five hours later we were able to take off again.
- What is the topic of the text?
- The habit of traveling by plane.
- A frightening plane crash.
- An unforgettable experience.
- A very important person on board.
- What made the writer frightened?
- The police searched the plane carefully
- Somebody said there was a bomb on the plane.
- After taking off, the plane flew low over the city.
- The plane turned around and flew back to the airport.
Questions 37 to 39 refer to the following text.
Birds are a group of animals called vertebrates, or animals with backbones. They form the class Aves.
They are warm-blooded and lay eggs. Their bodies are covered with feathers and they have wings. Their bones are hollow. This makes them lighter and allows many of them to fly. Birds have two legs usually covered with scales (small, flat hard plates which overlap in the same way as feathers). They have a hard beak with no teeth. Because birds keep a high body temperature, they use a lot of energy. So, they need to eat a lot of food compared with their weight. There are more than 9.000 different species of birds in this world.
Birds are found on every continent of the world. Birds of different types can live in freezing cold environments, and others can live in hot dessert. Birds live in forests, in grasslands, on cliff faces, in river banks, on stony seashore, down the mine shafts and in the grooves of houses.
- Birds need to eat a lot to ....
- Supply food for many different species of birds
- Keep their body temperature high
- Compare their weight with their body
- Make them fly far away
- What is the main idea of the third paragraph?
- The habitat of birds
- The houses of birds
- The parts of birds
- The kinds of birds
- "on stony seashores, ..."
What is the meaning of the underlined word?
Questions 40 to 42 refer to the following text.
Doctors make people healthier. When people get sick, doctors figure out why. They examine people, listen to them, describe their health problems, and do tests to see what is wrong. They give people medicine and other kinds of treatment. They also give advice about diet, exercise, and sleep.
There are many types of doctors. Family and general practitioners are often the first doctors that people go to when they get sick. These doctors treat common problems. They also send patients to other doctors, called specialists. Specialists are experts in specific types of health problems.
For example, internists focus on problems with internal organs. Pediatricians care for children and babies. Surgeons perform operations, like fixing broken bones or transplanting organs.
Most doctors are doctors of medicine (M.D). They treat all kinds of diseases and injuries. Some doctors are doctors of osteopathic medicine (D.O). They focus on muscles and bones.
Many doctors work long hours, at all times of day and night. About 3 out of 10 physicians worked more than 60 hours a week. Doctors sometimes have to rush to the hospital to deal with emergencies.
- These are what doctors do, except ....
- giving medicine to sick people
- sending experts to other doctors
- listening to patients' health problems
- giving advice on how to stay healthy
- People who break their legs in an accident should go to a/an ....
- Doctors work long hours, because ....
- they rush to the hospital for emergencies
- they deal with emergencies
- patients may come at anytime.
- most doctors are doctors of medicine (M.D).
Questions 43 to 44 refer to the following text.
People in London drink a lot of coffee. People have to throw away around 200,000 tonnes of used coffee every year. However, they can still use the coffee grounds.
One man has a factory. This factory takes out the oils from the coffee. It produces coffee logs. You can use these logs instead of wood. One log comes from the waste of 25 cups of coffee.
The ma's factory produces 50,000 tonnes of logs a year. That is enough to power hundreds of thousands of homes!
- What can we conclude from the text above?
- The factory uses coffee logs to produce oil.
- Coffee plants is a new resource of energy.
- Coffee logs is a kind of wood.
- Coffee grounds can be useful.
- What is the synonym of the underlined word in the text above?
- Put off
Questions 45 to 47 refer to the following text.
Tens of thousands of green sea turtles come to an island in Australia to ...(i)... their eggs. People think that the island is the ...(ii)... nesting site in the world. However, rising sea levels can make the water flood the eggs during the next high tide. The babies will probably not develop.
To create space and ...(iii)... the eggs, people reshaped and raised 150 metres of the island's beach.
- most biggest
- big as
- Adi : "Hurray. Our team won the match."
Toni: "Really? Tell me about it."
Adi : "Well. The opponent team was defeated ...."
- Reza: "... do you come to Medan?"
Azraf: "Well, usually once or twice every year."
- How much
- How often
- How many
- Dear Rina,
I want you to come to my house for lunch on Sunday at 12 p.m. to celebrate my parents' wedding anniversary.
What is the purpose of the message?
- To inform a party organizer
- To describe a wedding anniversary
- To celebrate a wedding
- To invite a friend for lunch