5. Error Recognition:Questions 16 to 20, choose the inappropriate structure in the sentences below.
- Passenger: Can we carry live animals?
Officer: I’m afraid you can, Sir. We don’t handle live animals.
- Myer is situated in the Murray Street Mall/Forrest Place shopping area. The store is
surrounded by a wide two-storey terrace, where also features some specialty shops.
B C D
- Dio comes from Magelang, Central Java. He has just graduated from a state university in
Semarang. Now he work in an insurance company in Jakarta.
- Gita: You were late this morning. What happened?
Joko: I missed the bus. I would have caught it if I left home earlier.
- Yudi: What do you think about the service of the hotel?
Tati: I was disappointing with it. I will never stay there again.
6. Reading Comprehension:Questions 21 - 30 are based on a selection of reading materials. Choose the best answer A, B, C, or D to each question.
Questions 21 – 22 refers to the following letter
Thank you very much for the fast delivery of the pots we ordered. However, I feel far from satisfied as many of the pots are damaged.
I would be grateful if you could send me new ones at absolutely no cost to replace the damaged ones. I would suggest that you handle the delivery more carefully to avoid damage.
- What is the purpose of the letter?
- To address a complaint
- To ask for fast delivery
- To express satisfaction
- To place an order
- What does the writer expect?
- Damaged pots
- Fast delivery
- Free replacement
- Discounted price
|When it was opened in 1962 as the first international hotel built for international standard, Hotel Indonesia was the pride of Indonesia. It was very luxurious seen by Indonesian. Today it may have lost more staffs. It is located in the midst of new and more luxurious and modern hotels. It is taking a step down in its appearance and servers. Anyway, it still stands up as a monument of the past.|
- What is the topic of the text?
- The pride of Hotel Indonesia
- The first international hotel in Indonesia
- The modern competitors of Hotel Indonesia
- Hotels with international standard
- How long has the hotel been operating?
- Five years
- Ten years
- Less than fifty years
- More than fifty years
|After his graduation from high school in 1979, Obama moved to Los Angeles and studied at Occidental College for two years. He then transferred to Columbia University in New York City. Obama entered Harvard Law School in late 1988. He was selected as an editor of the law review based on his grade and writing competition. In 1990, he became the first Black president of the Harvard Law Review. He graduated with J.D. magna cum laude from Harvard in 1989.|
- What is the topic of the text?
- Obama’s carreer in politics
- Obama’s educational background
- Obama’s graduation from high school
- Obama’s graduation from Harvard
Which is NOT true according to the text?
- Obama was the first Black president of the Harvard Law Review.
- In Harvard Law School, Obama was selected as an editor of the law review.
- Before studying in Columbia University, Obama went to Occidental college in Los Angeles.
- Obama graduated from a high school in Los Angeles.
- “... based on his grade and writing competition.”
The word “grade” is similar to ....
Crisp Roast DuckIngredients:
- What’s the text about?
- The ingredients to prepare crisp roast duck.
- What’s needed to make some food.
- The steps to make a delicious food.
- How to make crisp roast duck.
What do we need to prick the skin of the duck?
- Black pepper.
- A sharp fork.
- Boiling-hot water
- What do we do to tighten the skin of the duck?
- Rinse duck inside and outside.
- Prick skin all over with a sharp fork.
- Pour boiling-hot water over duck.
- Cool the duck.
7. Incomplete Dialog:Questions 31 to 40, choose the most appropriate answer
- Nia: “Andri looks happy today. I think he has just got good news.”
Joni: “.... He has been promoted to a higher position.”
- That’s impossible.
- That’s right.
- You are probably right.
- Noone can be sure of that.
Udin: “May I borrow your pen, please?”
Emi: “Of course, but ....
Udin: “Yes, I’ll use it for a moment.”
- may I use it please?
- no need to return it to me.
- you may not borrow it.
- don’t forget to return it to me.
Alya: “Toni, ....”
Toni: “I’m sorry but we must get to school on time.”
Alya: “Yes, I know, but it’s dangerous. The traffic is very heavy.”
- A. can you drive faster?
- don’t drive too fast.
- would you be on time?
- we must not be late
Okta: “Can you tell me about your present job?”
Lia: “I’m a mechanic. ....”
- My duty is repairing cars.
- I’m responsible for painting cars.
- I’m used to driving trucks.
- I’m in charge of car licensing.
Clerk: “Would you like regular or express mail, Sir?”
Tia: “.... It’s urgent.”
- Whichever is cheaper.
- It doesn’t matter.
- I prefer regular to express mail.
- I’d rather have express mail.
Caller: “Good morning. May I speak with the Headmaster?”
Gita: “Who’s speaking, please?”
Caller: “This is Mr. Sukardi from the Education Office.”
Gita: “.... I’ll inform him.”
- Would you call back, please?
- Would you leave a message?
- Would you hold on a minute?
- Would you hang up?
Puji: “Can you come over to my house for dinner tomorrow night?”
Ayi: “I’m sorry, but I’ll have to go to Surabaya tomorrow. ....”
Puji: “Never mind.”
- I wish I could come.
- I certainly hope so.
- I’ll go to your house.
- I wish you would invite me.
Rinda: “What are you going to do after you graduate?”
Yuni: “.... I need to raise some money before I can continue my study.”
Rinda: “That’s good. I wish you good luck with your plan.”
- I wish I could find a job.
- I am going to look for a job.
- I will continue my study.
- I don’t know what to do.
Manager: “Have they sent the proposal?”
Secretary: “Yes, they have. ....”
- It was sent by air mail this morning.
- They would send it immediately.
- They send it by air mail.
- They would have sent it if it had been possible.
Deka: “Is the copier still broken? I hate going out to copy these documents.”
Fita: “I think you can use it. ....”
Deka: “Really? I’ll have a look. Thanks for informing me.”
- It will be repaired.
- It’s being repaired.
- It has been repaired.
- It is repaired.
8. Cloze Test:Choose the most appropriate word or phrase to complete the texts.
Questions 41 – 44 refer to the following letter
To: Hesti Fajira
From: Gita Sagita
Date: Feb 01st, 2013
Subject: Office Furniture
We need some ...(41)... chairs for visitors to go in the managers” offices. Can you ...(42)... it? We need 10 chairs in ...(43)... beige or dark brown. The maximum amount of money you can ...(44)... is Rp. 1 million.
- to arrange
- be arranged
- not only
NOTICEFor security ...(45)..., this gate is kept locked 24 hours a day. All authorized facility users can use their regular storage room key to access both this gate and the front and side gate to the yard. Anyone who does not have a storage room key is ...(46)... unauthorized users who pose a threat to the security of both persons and goods in our buildings.
For the security of all and for the effectiveness of our reliable storage service, we ask that you keep this gate locked at all times. Do not prop the gate at anytime, even temporarily for loading and unloading. Do not insert any foreign matter into the automatic bolt chamber. Thank you for your ...(47)....
TELEPHONE SERVICE OFFERSign up now for our long distance service and ...(48)... free activation. That’s right, no charge! Our connection gives you single or multiple lines for one, low price.
Today, ...(49)... than ever, an extra line is a necessity, not a luxury. Don’t ...(50)... more with other companies, when you can choose up to three lines for the same price. It’s easy.